I do like the Ultimaker printers. Both the UMO+ and 3E have been brilliant. Yes, they're Core XY printers and so typically very sturdy and have excellent repeatability. Unfortunately, while the 3E is dual extruder, the distance between the nozzles is literally only a couple of centimetres. So unless you're wanting to print something very small. It probably wouldn't work. Combined with the fact that the nozzles actually sit at slightly different heights (one pops up and down when it's needed) so that they don't get in each other's way. The delta printers do look interesting, it seems like it would be easy to scale up in size. But I'm not sure the cartesian ones look particularly sturdy, at least not the ones I've seen. I did wonder about getting a Lulzbot Taz at one point when I was investigating direct drive machines.

I've made a few little generic assortment/organiser things, but it seems my impatience typically means I can't be bothered to sit around and wait for them to print when I can just buy stuff from Amazon and have them there next day. I went through a bit of a phase of making things for the kids, but unfortunately they're both now that little bit older and so slightly more discerning. I remember my oldest wanted a BB-8 when they first appeared. So I printed him a little model of one, but I think he was hoping for one that rolled around the floor and made noises, etc. I did make him a bunch of bookmarks with his name embossed into them, which he liked so much he took a bunch to school. I also also printed him out a huge T-Rex head that took something like 2.5 days and half a spool of filament.

Back at the beginning of the UK Covid lockdown, I spent a few days printing off a hundred or so mask strap retainer things. Both of my sister's-in-law are healthcare professionals so I posted them off a load each. That was cool. It felt like I was doing something to help.

My next big fad/craze ( wink ) is CNC. I bought a little CNC3018 Pro last year that I was hoping to start milling PCB's and front panels with. It also came with a laser attachment for burning/engraving. I tinkered with it for a couple of weeks and then had to get on with working on the house, so I've not had the time or the space to get it out recently. But it seemed at the time that the spindle motor was too weak, so I'd have to spend a bunch of time and money pimping it out before I could do much with it. Hopefully I might have time in the next couple of months to get looking at it again.

Andy M