I think you're missing part of the reason the player was invented - the all-in-one-unit. No extra boxes, no long-distance wiring, no extra installation hassles

Reality is different. I'm really missing decent FM radio and am starting to doubt if the Empeg-guys will ever be able to approach to quality of their MP3 delivery for FM radio, or even come close to matching out-of-the-box car radios. The antenna amplifier hasn't made a lot of difference, and the announcement that the Mark-2 will have an external radio-unit is bad news for any Mark-1 owner who wants decent FM-radio, I think. From the announcement that the Mark-2 will use an external unit I read that Empeg have given up developing one themselves and will purchase a module from an external supplier. Unless there will be a (complicated??) inetrface into the Mark-1, we'll have to live with what's there. (Any comments / assurances, Hugo ??)

I think there should be a 'secure' option where a relay-driven bolt pushes through the frame and into the chassis of the empeg unit itself.

Nice for the Mark-2; not feasible for the current model. Have tried to build one myself, but there is no space behind the chassis.

For the rest - why have it anywhere else? The unit already packs a heap of power into a standard sized unit - any larger and you'll be just limiting the market.

As I said, fitting it in the boot will free-up the DIN-slot in the dash, so I could mount a decent FM-radio player. Navigating the Empeg remotely should be easy, especially if it talks back / confirms options and selections. It will also be much more secure in the boot. And there is much more space there to hook it up to anything else.

When I get one it's going to take pride of place in my car, dammit!
I have mine mounted and am proud of it. It works great from MP3s. Will gladly mount it in the boot though. It'll sound equally well from there and I may have decent radio.

Henno
serial 120