Thanks, it may, if it made a symlink farm. But really the problem is that you have to have a database that, at the least, requires you to specially name your songs. Also mp3tofid doesn't allow you to take a filelist as input.

As it is I have all my music on one location. I want to get some of that onto my player. I have a program that will generate a random selection of those songs, and pick as many as would fit on the player. To use mp3tofid, I have to copy all these files to a temporary location. Next I run mp3tofid that makes a third copy of the files in the database format. Now I rsync that over to the player.

Another problem with this (beside the number of steps involved and the number of copies of music I have to make) is that there is no way to get information -out- of the player. That is, if the player was keeping track of what songs were played and what were skipped (the basis of Squash's selection routine), I would lose that information (assuming it was kept in the database) when I used mp3tofid.