Originally Posted By: tonyc
It's funny -- I used to copy and transcode from my ReplayTV back in the day, *snip* I used to try to build up a giant library of archived shows, but then I realized I was never watching them, and now I can get many of the ones I'd care to from Netflix instant.

Same here, and it was so easy off a 4500 or 5000 series unit too. Load up a java app that emulated a ReplayTV, pull them over the network, then fire up a program that understood all the commercial skip markers. Few minor tweaks, and I could export a commercial free archive copy of a show with little effort. And all without any hacks to the ReplayTV to add a network card and other such things TiVo owners of the time were doing.

The auto archiving of the Java emulator was really useful. I bought a low end ReplayTV unit with I think 40GB of storage. It was enough to handle a few days of recordings, and then the Java program could kick in to pull them off and stash them on my home server/NAS. Because of how well the streaming worked back to the ReplayTV, the experience was pretty much the same watching locally, or pulling the show back in from the archive.

Oh, and the internet TV show sharing was also handy. I missed a few shows due to power outages or other issues. A quick visit to an online site helped me coordinate with other ReplayTV owners, and allowed me to pull in the show from their unit.

It's not a wonder ReplayTV was sued, the tech was just too good :-)