So, my FiOS install occurred yesterday. The installer didn't have any of the new DVRs, but I was able to swap the one he gave me at a Verizon retail store free of charge.

The new firmware for the media guide/DVR stuff hasn't rolled out to many markets yet, so the version I've got is a bit of a step back from the Dish Network VIP722. The UI is just a small notch above what I've seen from Comcast cable boxes, and the scheduling / conflict resolution features aren't very robust. The upgraded version shown in the video above looks like it should improve on at least some of these problems.

Losing picture-in-picture is a bummer, and losing the ability to pause / rewind live TV on the additional TVs is also quite a drag. The multi-room functionality works fine, and seeking is faster than I expected -- a tiny bit slower than what I'm used to on the Dish, but still totally usable.

The VOD selection is actually very good. It probably isn't what you get from Comcast, but is way more than what was on Dish. Good selection of network shows, movies, etc. that will be nice to have if we miss a show or two.

The one BIG step up is the FiOS picture quality. They aren't recompressing the feeds (as the satellite operators have to due to limited bandwidth on the satellite feeds) so the PQ is very, very nice. I had read that this was the case, but it's even nicer than I thought it'd be.

In the end, I'm saving $30 a month (about 25% off my old bill), so even if things stay as they as they are, I think this was worth doing. If the upgraded firmware delivers on its promises, I think I'll be even happier with my decision.

Thanks to all who chimed with advice. I'll probably post an update here when the new firmware rolls out.

Edited by tonyc (02/05/2011 23:06)