I do agree that the streaming services are the future in terms of content delivery, but though there are many things to hate about cable/satellite companies and their DVRs, the one good thing is that once you pick one, you get a consistent interface to all of the content you subscribe to, whereas if I want to find out if a given show is on Netflix, Hulu, or whatever, I need to first do some homework, and then deal with their own interfaces with their own UI quirks. Also, once I've recorded a show, nobody can really take it away until I delete it, whereas if Hulu can't come to an agreement with content provider X, it's gone, and I need to go find it somewhere else.

Another good thing is that you can still skip commercials pretty easily on DVRs, whereas the streaming services that do have commercials generally make you sit through them.

TV packages are still terribly overpriced for most people, but I'm not so sure the streaming plans are great deals either once you factor in the limited content on each provider -- suddenly you're playing the same game you do with the cable companies of buying a subscription for a provider just to get a couple shows you care about from each.