Originally Posted By: tonyc
I do agree that the streaming services are the future in terms of content delivery, but though there are many things to hate about cable/satellite companies and their DVRs, the one good thing is that once you pick one, you get a consistent interface to all of the content you subscribe to, whereas if I want to find out if a given show is on Netflix, Hulu, or whatever, I need to first do some homework, and then deal with their own interfaces with their own UI quirks. Also, once I've recorded a show, nobody can really take it away until I delete it, whereas if Hulu can't come to an agreement with content provider X, it's gone, and I need to go find it somewhere else.

You hit the nail on the head, Tony. This is what I've been trying to explain to the folks crying "chord cutting." The experience I get with my Tivo is FAR more efficient than anything I can do by going "over the top."

One of Tivo's paradigms when they first set out was that they wanted to help their users create their own channel. Yes, you could channel surf just like we used to in the good old days, and you can tune into stuff that's airing now, but the idea was that the Now Playing list is your favorite/primary channel.

At the moment there's barely any services that will tell you which shows are on which online service, and that means that despite getting the content through the internet, we're actually taking a step backwards by going back to the channel model. I have to know that Show X is on Channel Y, and even worse, I have to know when it airs. If you asked me when House comes on I couldn't tell you, it just shows up in my DVR, and I see it.

Cutting the chord just doesn't work for everyone. I work the numbers every six months or so as technology in this space advances, and there's simply no way to match the experience and value I get from my Fios subscription by going to IP TV. Some might say I watch too much TV, but hey, that's my hobby. I love it. And so far, there simply isn't a better way to pursue my hobby than with the method I'm using now. That's why I'm sinking hundreds of dollars into yet another DVR with four tuners and 2TB of storage. I actually need it!