In reply to:

Most of the consequences, such as Arab anger and world frustration at United States unilateralism has already been suffered and backing down isn't going to help it much while showing signs of weakness.

Sorry, but I have to completely disagree with this. It is a far greater show of strength for the US Government, despite all the provocation, to be seen to be pursueing all other avenues of settlement. I believe the protests here in Australia, and in the US and UK, are proving that the if their respective governments backed down from the agressive talk their popularity would soar. Peace is what people want, not governments that are pretending to be strong by rattling sabres.

Also, at no point is anyone suggesting that if the US takes this road that Saddam or anyone else is going to be parading around pretending they've beaten the US or anyone else. They're all going to be too interested in making sure that they comply to UN requirements - which is ultimately what we want AFAICS. Sure, there's going to be a lot of posturing from Iraq. But there already is - using all available avenues of peaceful settlement is not going to change this.

This is the other side of the coin of your quoted argument, I believe.

For peace,

Paul