Quote:
When were the above statements proven to be true to you?
In short, through experience, research, and soul searching. I examined the claims of Christianity and came to the conclusion that as a faith system it best fit the world around me and explained my personal experience better than any other option- including the rejection of religion all together.
Quote:
As an athiest, this is something that I don't understand. If you show me a book written by some guys a couple of thousand years ago, I feel the burdon of proof is obviously on you to demonstrate the book is true - not the other way around.
The burden of proof may be on me from your perspective, but not from mine. That is to say, I understand you don't see the proof you'd like to have regarding faith and so you'd like more if what I say is true. And I'd like to provide it if possible. However, from my perspective I can honestly say I KNOW it's true. I realize that doesn't carry much weight with you or anyone else, but I can't unlearn what I've experienced only because other's haven't experienced it too. Think of an episode of Star Trek where they're force to violate the Prime Directive and take people away from their homes to save them from some danger. There's no way they could ever explain the reality of spaceships, warp travel, aliens, etc. in a way that makes sense to the primitive civilization. And the burden is indeed on the Enterprise to do what they can to prove it, but if the civilization still can't understand the truth that they are in danger there are still very real consequences if they don't leave their planet.

That is the frustration for me. It would take an absurd amount of proof to demonstrate Christianity as a hoax to me: it is my only hope and the truth that has not ever let me down. Yet I realize that none of the this adds up to proof for you, even as it does for me. The only option I have is to live my life consistently with my values and my beliefs and hope others have the chance to expeirence what I have.