I just setup my DirecTivo on Sat... and holy crap. I can't believe i didn't have this for so long. Tivo already changed the way we watch TV in ONE DAY since we've had it. I think you'll really appreciate with the little ones. If they spill something you can just pause TV and come back to it. heheh. Or have it record every episode of Blues Clues or whatever the hip kids show of the moment is and have them available on demand.

You could always do what i'm planning on... and hack the Tivo to be able to take the recordings off to a massive storage drive or burn them to DVD for archiving.

EDIT: Oh, and you don't think you'd record enough to justify it... i'd wager you'll be amazed at how much you'll want to record once you get it setup and see all the stuff that's available during hours you don't watch TV. I've got quite a few season passes setup already, and have a bunch of wishlist stuff. One of them worked already and i was surprised to find a Chuck Jones special sitting there waiting for me last night!