I just think that there are intimate aspects to the human body, or at the very least associated with the human body, and I prefer keeping those intimate.
Speaking as one who comes from a province where it's legal for women to go topless in public...

At one point, I would most certainly have agreed with you, but at some point in my life, I hit a point in my maturity where I realized that intimacy and the associations that go along with different body parts are entirely contextual. If the situation isn't sexual in context, I wouldn't associate any intimacy with a boob. Just like I don't see any intimate context in a PBS special that shows a topless woman in the Kalahari, I don't consider a boob popping out on national TV to be in any sort of intimate context, even considering what they were singing about. That the latter was more or less planned to go along with the topic of the song doesn't make it "intimate", so much as it did pathetic and pandering.

One comment from a guy here at work was that if no-one on TV had made such a big deal about it, his two young boys would never have noticed anything happened.

Nudity is a lot like spandex -- the ones (un)dressed like that in public are never the ones you want to see in that fashion.