(Pardon the length - here goes.)

The good news is everything's back and the car can be driven once again.

Now for the gotcha. Yes, I have AM radio. However, the reception, upon closer scrutiny (e.g., while driving) is spotty at best. Turns out FM actually isn't that much better.

Various experiments with placing the tuner unit didn't really change the situation all that much (perhaps very slightly but not by any order of magnitude). I tried with the engine on and off to see if engine noise exacerbated the situation. On AM I got this tone that disappeared once the car was "warmed up" - I was getting this slow sine wave up/down noise over the audio (hmm, excuse the rough description there).

Next, I went driving over hills, on the open highway, into downtown, all while changing the AM/FM presets of stations I had no trouble getting with the factory unit. Fairly consistent results, but not nearly as good as with the factory unit. The NJ stations are rather strong, but not 100%. The New York stations I normally get loud and clear are coming in rather weak now (20% on the signal strength meter - or is that logarithmic?) ... plus it depends where I drive, where I stop.

... and Greg didn't use that power antenna lead. Puzzling.

Tony, can you please re-explain again your suggestion WRT using that power antenna lead? Know that I have no free wire in the dash to hook this up to though - that and, for all I know, there is no such wire in the car to begin with. Also, I realize this is an output, not an input, so I won't hook up the amp remote to it, I promise.

Greg, you also suggested changing out the antenna. (But if it worked before ... ?)

Bottom line: I've got to figure this one out if I'm going to win over you-know-who (she uses the radio A LOT) so any and all troubleshooting suggestions are eagerly requested. Again, I've tried placing that tuner all over the inside of that dash. Not much difference no matter what I do with it.

A few bits of good news this go-round though. I found the exact same spot Greg was talking about WRT placing the tuner module, on the side next to the tray. Didn't find that the first time!

Not only does it fit nicely and out of the way, but it doesn't move. It's like that spot was made for it. It's nestled in the plastic molding on the side, and testing the upper and lower trays with reckless abandon showed absolutely no problems. (Another reason I wish I didn't have to take this apart again. Hey, welcome to the bleeding edge!)

Another thing I did - instead of using a bracket, I got some thick double-sided tape and some rigid foam insulation for copper pipe. I cut about 4" of one insulation tube, then cut that remaining piece down the center. Took both of those pieces, stuck the double-sided tape on the inside, then placed them between the plastic pocket and the bottom of the sled on either side, still leaving that open air pocket there, and also leaving clearance for the bendable tabs should I ever need to remove it from this plastic install kit. I took pix so that's forthcoming. The end result is a nice cushion that keeps the sled level.