Dignan: My tivo is a high-def DirecTivo, and I haven't hacked it yet. My understanding is that so far it's not as hackable as the regular DirecTivos, that they're still perfecting the features. But anyay, I'd also like to have a PC that can let me surf the web from my couch too, so I've got other reasons for wanting the media player to be on a computer, too.

Dylan: The media files I want to play are episodes of television series that I've missed. For example, as soon as I get this hooked up, I'm going to hunt for a couple of episodes of Battlestar Galactica that I missed during my relocation period. I actually don't use any of the online services if I can avoid them, I've got friends who run their own media server, they bittorrent the files themselves, and I just leech files off of their server with SFTP. Most of the time they are Xvid or Divx.

I've also been having a lot of Mac Envy lately. Well, let me be more specific: OSX envy. I figure it would be fun to have a Mac just to play around with it. So as long as it'll network and play Divx/Xvid files, I'm golden.