Quote:
I had absolutely no desire to see any of those three shows, but, in general, I agree. If it isn't dumbed down to the level of a fifth grader, it won't be retained, at least on network TV.

I agree about Prison Break, although I did enjoy the first three-quarters of the finale more than the rest of the season put together.

Did you see The Riches? On paper, that's a show I would not enjoy, but the ads were compelling, and, so far, I'm really enjoying it. And Raines is a pretty good noir mystery, although they need to lose the psychiatrist angle. That feels a lot like notes-from-the-network to me. At least they're showing them out of order. Probably to push the psychiatrist shows up to the front. Andy Barker, PI is pretty funny, too.

Other than that, the only other show I can think of that I get actively excited about is Veronica Mars. I watch a few others, but I wouldn't be too upset if they were cancelled.

I'm definitely with Bitt on this one. I really don't like those shows you mentioned, Bruno, and I think I wasn't alone. There were not many fans of The Black Donnellys. You make it seem like if you aren't watching it, it's crap or reality TV.

Here is the list of all the shows I'm watching that are either currently airing or are expecting a new season (in no particular order):

Lost
The Simpsons
Bones
Jericho [actually, I stopped watching this one]
Dexter
Heroes
House
American Dad
Veronica Mars
Family Guy
ER
My Name is Earl
Mythbusters
Smallville
Weeds
Numb3rs
Supernatural
Eureka
The Dresden Files
Andy Barker: P.I.

This list doesn't count a few shows whose future I'm uncertain of, like The Dead Zone and The 4400.

Look, I definitely think the networks aren't doing things right, but the fact is there are a number of good shows on the air right now. Considering the number of shows that premiere every year (dozens of them), it's hard to say that only "the best" get the axe.

*edit*
By the way, I don't claim that my list of shows only includes really great TV. I tend to think a few of those shows aren't very good (Dresden Files), but most have some redeeming value to me at least. For example, I'm going to start watching Nathan Fillion's new show. I don't think it'll be very good, but even if it isn't, I'll still watch it for him.

Edited by Dignan (05/04/2007 01:25)