Quote:
The Dresden Files is infuriating to me. I don't know who's writing and directing that show, but it was all over the place in story, plot development, and just the basic premise.

Case in point: the creators seem undecided on how powerful they want Harry to be. For the first several episodes, he seemed able to do little more than open locks and track people. Then all of a sudden in one episode he channels lighting from the sky.

Agreed. There were a hell of a lot of inconsistencies with that entire episode. I'm inclined to believe that it was a pilot episode that SciFi decided to show well out of order, when they probably shouldn't have show it at all, due to apparent changes in thought about the show. (You'll also notice that Bob didn't appear in that episode and Cruz's hair was much shorter than in the rest of the episodes. Also, a quick glance at TV.com shows that its production code was 1x01, and the notes also indicate that it was the pilot, not to mention that the name of the episode is the name of the first novel.)

I imagine that most of the problems you have with it are based on the channel's decision to show them out of order. And I'll bet the reason that they chose the ones they showed first is because they were packed with hot-babe guest stars. Regardless, the production codes, in order of airing, are: 3, 4, 5, 2, 7, 8, 6, 1, 10, 9, 11, 12. Production codes are not necessarily intended airing order (post on one episode might be expected to take longer than the filming and post of the next episode, for example), but it's a good guide, and that's obviously well out of whack. Of course, you can also argue that that doesn't make any difference -- that the show should stand on its own merits -- but then you have to include the airing channel in the list of defendants.