Quote:
I get mixed up between the US terms Junior High, High School, School, College and University. Someone explain!

I think we've had this one before, but....

In the US, there are 13 years of education (commonly called grades) prior to college/university: kindergarten (optional) and first through twelfth grades. Usually individual schools only teach a subset of those grades, and they're usually divided up as K-5, 6-8, 9-12. K-5 is usually called "elementary school", 6-8 is usually called "middle school", but used to be called "junior high school", or just "junior high" for short, and 9-12 is usually called "high school". Some places divide it up differently, usually for private schools and very small school districts, just because it doesn't make sense to have three divisions for the small numbers of students that they have. These levels of education are provided by the government to all children, and are in fact required up to some level (which I forget the specifics of, and probably varies by state anyway). There are private schools for these grades, too. Children are usually sent to private schools because their parents feel that the public schools are not appropriate for their children, ranging from that they think the quality is poor or that they think their children need religious-based education. Children can also be "home-schooled", which means that they are taught by their parents. The common notion is that home-schooled children often grow up poorly socialized.

A high school diploma is the lowest recognized level of education, and if that's all the education you have, you're likely to have a hard time finding work beyond skilled labor.

"College" and "University" both refer to education past 12th grade. This education is not provided for free, though there are a large number of schools that are run by governments, and they tend to cost less, especially for people who are citizens of the government it is run by. "College" and "University" are almost interchangeable. The difference tends to be that colleges tend to have a limited scope of the degrees that they offer, whereas universities offer degrees in a wide range of subjects, but a more appropriate distinction is probably just that some of these schools call themselves universities and some call themselves colleges. Also, universities often subdivide themselves into colleges based on subject. For example, the university I attended had a college of physical and mathematical sciences, a college of engineering, a college of design, a college of humanities, etc.

"School" is a term that refers to all of those, and you just have to know which one by context. It's kind of like "train". You might be referring to Amtrak/British Rail or you might be talking about a subway or you might be talking about an el.