Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Chris Carter not knowing where the show was going is exactly my point. The over-all arc was shot. He kept changing his mind. The characters would grow and then backtrack in every way.

Well, it was one of your points. I was targeting the specific claim that the one-off episodes somehow hurt the show, when I think it was the opposite with that show.

Quote:
BUt if you think anyone plans out a series years in advance... Well that simple doesn't happen. Any showrunner/creator that claims that is just blowing smoke up our asses.

I certainly believe that they can have a framework in place, and at the very least can plot out logical endpoints for their story.

Quote:
With Fringe, the most useless and boring episodes have always been the stand-alone ones. Not necessarily all of them mind you, but the only ones I've felt dissatisfied with have aways been stand-alone.

Meh, I suppose I understand, but I never found them boring. They might not be as good as the rest, but I can't remember an episode I disliked so much.

Quote:
Anyway, pushing the overall storyline isn't what necessarily makes a show good, so don't assume that's what I'm advocating blindly.

No no, I wasn't assuming that. I certainly appreciate shows that find a great balance between the serial and the episodic, or at least don't pretend at one or the other. For everything I love about Lost, the one thing that leaves me a tad dissatisfied with the show is a slight lack of episodic structures. They're there sometimes, but it doesn't feel like it. But that's okay, because it makes up for it with a fantastic serial storyline.

Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Re: Spoiler: Not according to the Wikipedia article on her.

Wow, I must have really misread that episode, or it simply became fuzzy in my head. My apologies, then. I still argue, however, that pretty much every single plotline in the entire show's run is muddled. I couldn't really tell you what happened in the show now. Maybe that's partly due to my age when the show was running, but I'm not sure I could entirely follow it while it was on.