Originally Posted By: hybrid8
A counter example, of a show that I don't think has done this terribly well in some respects, but that I still quite enjoy, is Medium. How many times are Allison's friends going to doubt her and treat her like a pariah when she comes to them with a wacky dream? Really, this woman is *always* right, time to start putting some faith in her.

Oh. My. God. That annoys me more than anything else on television. Really, that entire show is intensely frustrating. Everything you said is true, but I would add that Allison herself seems entirely clueless when she gets her visions. It's like "I had the strangest dream, I have no idea if it's at all related to this case that seems exactly like what I dreamed about."

Furthermore, the writers on that show seem to now have a clue how to write the visions she gets. In every episode, it seems like Allison is given one of two things:

1) So much information right off the bat that anyone watching, presumably seeing the exact same thing she does, can easily make the connections she needs to, but for some reason she's oblivious.

2) So little information - or misinformation - and she only gets everything she needs to at the very last minute. Whoever/whatever is giving her these visions is very unhelpful.

Really, I've been very disappointed at how little character and overall plot development that show has. In any other show, the public revelation of her abilities would have been a major point in the show, but after it happened on Medium, it's like nobody cares. And they could be doing some really interesting things with her kids' apparent abilities, but they only bring them up when it's convenient or if they have no idea what to do for a B-plot.

In contrast, I give you the first few seasons of Ghost Whisperer. I expected it to be a truly awful touchy-feely show and much worse than Medium. It was a bit gooey, but I was also amazed at how well they crafted a decent mythology and solid storyline. There were few plot holes, and the show had a great direction. Then they completely pissed it away in the fourth season when Hewitt took more control of the show, and seemingly kicked the very entertaining Jay Mohr off the show abruptly so that her honey, the horrible Jamie Kennedy, could take his place. Ugh.

Anyway, nevermind about the argument, Bruno. I think we're violently agreeing. I do know that some creators say they have everything planned out, and I agree that many don't. I, on the other hand, think some do. I think Lost was planned out, and I pretty much know that Supernatural was planned out. I also know that my favorite show, Avatar, was planned from the beginning to be a 22-episode-a-season, 3 season epic. Pretty impressive for a "kids show."

Edited by Dignan (24/01/2010 22:37)