Originally Posted By: Tim

I've never seen it, but I have a lot of friends that love Glee. They said the humor in it is awesome. I can't bring myself to even try to watch it to see if they are correct though.

My wife has watched a few episodes, so I've sat through about 2.5 episodes worth of content. There are some good diatribes, but there are too many aspects that make me want to pull my hair out. The cheerleading coach character is well done and the actress pulls it off with her gruff and callous attitude.

The whole musical genre thing is the initial big turn off. But there are also a lot of cliche juvenile plot lines. Sure, some of the stuff is supposed to be tongue in cheek, but I just find it annoying.

For Matt. I was starting to find Flashforward boring, but as I said, it picked up in the second half of the season in a big way. Things fit better together where previously I thought they were about to pull a Heroes on us and just spread the story everywhere.

Scrubs sucked in the first couple of episodes. But it too hit a stride. The original showrunner (and creator) Bill Lawrence, also had his hands in this new season (which is essentially a spin-off) as far as I know. That's what I gathered from an interview he gave. I have no idea to what level he was involved compared to past seasons, since he's also involved with his other show, Cougar Town.

I did get a couple of Twin Peaks vibes from Happy Town, but there's really not much in common with the two to call it a rip-off. But this type of show just has very little chance of going forward on Network TV and it certainly won't capture the minds of the CSI audience who want to watch essentially the same episode week after week. With only three episodes in, I thought this one was unfolding pretty well and was looking forward to see where they'd take it in another 5 episodes.

There's a ton I didn't mention, such as the long overdue cancellation of 24 and Heroes. TV.com has a good list of cancellations and renewals up at the moment. They've also got a fall TV preview that I haven't looked at.

I believe ABC has also cancelled The Deep End, though no official word had come out as of yesterday on it.

Parenthood, a show I've been recording since the pilot, also got picked up for a second season. I thought I'd pull an experiment with this one and record but not watch any of it. Now I can watch the first season knowing ahead of time there will be more episodes in the second. Of course if it turns out I don't like it, it's all just been a temporary waste of hard drive space over the past few months. smile

Edited by hybrid8 (18/05/2010 11:46)