Actually I haven't seen anyone else offer up any other reason for that mention in the SDK. Similar text can also be found in other documentation, including cell contracts according to some.

Quote:
Yeah, those were announced, and then promptly rejected by Apple.

Apple hasn't said boo about any GPS related developments. The only thing "from Apple" is that small note in the SDK that I'm aware of.

Quote:
And apparently the SDK is not the reason, according to this.

Exactly. They're basically echoing the point I made about Apple covering their asses. Tom Tom isn't going to announce the product before its time. When they were interviewed they also had no way to make the software fully functional nor releasable.

There was no GPS in first gen iphones nor could one be paired with a BT external GPS that I know of. Then there was the fact that no legitimate way to distribute nor install applications existed at that time.

If Tom Tom had iPhone 3G hardware it would have been provided by Apple and under some heavy NDA. Another reason for them to try keeping the whole thing quiet.

The iPhone will likely become the most popular and widely distributed GPS in the world. Sales volume will eclipse all other GPS products handily.