FWIW, and a bit late to the thread, here are my thoughts on the (2G not 3G) Iphone I've recently replaced my Nokia 8890 with. First the pros:
  • It's so nice having a screen that's hi-res enough to do proper typography on. The font looks really good.
  • The kinematics of the scrolling is just lovely.
  • The whoosh-in-and-out effects are lovely too, it's like having a hand-held version of Sonique.
  • Actually the whole UI is basically really nice. I'm impressed how accurate the touchscreen is despite fat-fingered me using it.
  • I haven't actually received one yet, but I bet it does "girl mode" (>160 byte) SMS much better than the 8890 did.
  • It's very nice having Facebook on a phone, and I've just spent twenty minutes chortling at how cool Google Earth is.
  • Although it's wider and taller than the 8890, it's thinner, which makes it fit pockets better.
and the cons:
  • The vibrate doesn't seem as strong as the 8890's; I've missed a few texts since I got it. (Did I read somewhere that the 3G had a stronger vibrate?)
  • When the screen is off it's off, which is fair enough for that sort of power consumption, but on the 8890 you could check the time, and whether you'd missed a call or message, by glancing at the phone without pressing a button. I can see a lot of "pull phone out of pocket, press button, glance at screen, press button again, put phone back in pocket" in my future.
  • It's too easy to accidentally place a call by tapping a number. I've done that twice already, once to the Bahamas, whereas I never in 7 years accidentally placed a call on the 8890. If there were an option for a confirmation dialog, I'd turn that option on.
  • I can't figure out how to get it to ask me for a password every time I connect to IMAP mail. Either I give it the password to keep, which I don't want to, or it says "Password incorrect" when I connect.
  • Although having said that, I can't really use it for my main mail account anyway, as that feed is overwhelming without a spam filter. Really I should filter spam on the server, but I've got used to doing it in Evolution on the client.

Peter