Originally Posted By: Cris
Some of the edges are a little sharp somehow.

I noticed that too. It's like the fit and finish of the casing's edges are off a nanometer or something. Just enough so you can feel it with your finger, not enough to make it an issue.

Quote:
If you are connected to a WiFi spot it doesn't drop to 3G if you haven't logged in, it just sits there.

That's something they really need to work on: automatically logging in to spots that give you a web sign-in page. For instance, in my company building, there is a free "guest" wifi hotspot that prompts you for a user name and password. Well, after I set up that user name and password, it works, but then I have to answer the prompt each time I reconnect. The iPhone should give me the option to remember that password and blast through that hotspot login for me, so I don't have to open up Safari and type in the username and password each time I want to check my mail or browse the app store.

It also needs to be smarter about joining wifi networks. It joins every network that has a common name. For instance, in my town, everywhere you go, there are wifi networks named "DLink" or "Actiontec" or "Linksys", because people are dumb and they never rename their wireless routers. Well, those are often open to the internet (for similar reasons), so I often join those networks if I find an open one when I'm sitting in a restaurant or whatnot.

But then let's say I'm driving down the street and using the mapping feature with 3G. As I drive by other routers named "DLink" or "Linksys", it keeps connecting to them, even though it can't see the internet through them, and it drops the perfectly good 3G network, and of course freezes up solid.

I wish that, before it automatically joins a wifi network, it could spawn off another background thread that makes sure it has an actual path to the internet and can retrieve something other than a hotspot logon page.