I got mine today. AT&T sent me an email this morning (dated 5am) saying that my "direct fulfillment" would take 5-7 days, maybe more. Screw that. I went out at 8am (store opening at 10am) and got 20th place in a line that grew to about 50 by 10am.

I was on my way home with a new iPhone at 10:30am. My old phone ceased working as I walked out the door, but my new phone was reporting "no signal" for hours thereafter. I went back to the store around 3pm and griped at them. It took 30 minutes of tweakage before everything started working. The store manager said "I sure how this doesn't happen to many other people, otherwise it's going to be really difficult for us."

So far, aside from all the usual coolness, my biggest observation squares with Walt Mossberg, namely that this thing eats battery like nobody's business. In six hours, I managed to consume 3/4 of the battery strength with occasional use, switching between my home WiFi and AT&T's 3G/Edge network (varying, depending on where I was, while we were doing errands).