So, I called the local Apple store yesterday and was advised they had all 3 variants of iPhone. However, there was a 3 hour wait.

I ran down there expecting to blow the evening. Even though I was only about 20 people back from the front, the line moved incredibly slow. It even stopped dead for over 45 minutes at one point. The Apple store is still taking forever to get iPhones processed 2 weeks after iDay. Most of the problems are due to AT&T customers that don't qualify for an upgrade, and people that are mall-walking and just jump in line on a whim. In almost all those cases, the people were not prepared to pay a fee to cancel their current service (what did they expect?).

Once the store closed the line (so they can close around their normal hours), a staffer came out and started "pre-qualifying" people with his little handheld cash register thingy. I would say about 1/3 the people on line (not yet in the store) found out they would be paying "full retail price" for the phone which is $200 more than the upgrade price. Listening to my fellow line-mates bitch at AT&T to get their situation sorted out before getting through the doors provided much-needed entertainment.

I waited 4 hours on line before being served. Because I was an original iPhone owner, my transaction only took 10 minutes. When I left, the guy behind me was still in line! From what I could tell, they had 3 or 4 people doing iPhone activations. That would seem like enough, but obviously the system needs to be streamlined somehow.

Anyway, I got a 16GB Black and it's pretty nice. Feels lighter than the old one and also more secure in my hand. I was surprised to find that a dock wasn't included with the 3G. What a scam. Now I have to go back and buy one (for $30!). It will be satisfying just strolling through the door this time while more poor saps are standing in the iLine.

Attachments
iphone_line.jpg