Originally Posted By: DWallach
If your iPhone is compromised, you also lose the passwords to log into your Gmail or whatever provider. WEP/WPA keys are the least of your worries.

Yes, but with Gmail accounts and the like you presumably have to enter your password each time you connect -- or at least, presumably there's an option for setting it up like that. I'm just saying that, for the paranoid, there ought to be the option of similar security for WEP/WPA "accounts".

It's true in a way that the situation is no worse than for laptops, but laptops have keyboards and it's more acceptable to leave these things in "password required each time" mode. And if I was sysadmin somewhere which had an internal Wifi network, I'd be expecting to change the WPA codes and cause a flag day every time any laptop was stolen or lost. (In that situation I'd want to roll out a per-client-revokable version of WPA, but I've actually no idea how hard/impractical that is, e.g. whether there are Linux or Mac clients for any of the standards, or whether they need specific hardware support.)

IIRC (Mike) at Empeg we had WEP/WPA protection to get onto our external Wifi network and the Internet, and once there you had to use real SSH or VPN (which are, of course, per-client-revokable) to get in through the firewall to anywhere useful.

Peter